Join our team!
A commitment to intellect, character, citizenship, and community are essential qualities in a Peak School educator. Peak offers an incredible opportunity for educators to engage their creativity and innovative thinking while seeking the highest levels of responsibility and achievement for their students. Individuals who enjoy this freedom and seek to be active, contributing members of an intellectual community thrive at Peak.
The Peak School is committed to developing students who think critically, act with integrity, and inspire others. Staff at The Peak School embody these qualities, motivating their students to do the same.
The ideal Peak School teacher exhibits the following qualities:
Curriculum and Instruction
- Designs and implements curriculum aligned with The Peak School’s Philosophy.
- Develops innovative lessons that are challenging, age-appropriate, and emphasize depth over coverage.
- Promotes critical thinking, creative thinking, and problem solving while holding high, personalized expectations for all students.
- Integrates both nature and technology into the curriculum.
- Embraces the student-as-worker, teacher-as-coach approach to instruction.
- Assesses students through a variety of methods, with an emphasis on performance-based exhibitions.
- Continually seeks and engages in professional development to maintain a high level of knowledge of current research and practices.
- Encourages students to take ownership over their education, make positive interpersonal choices, and take responsibility for their community interactions.
- Promotes understanding and respect for multiple perspectives by building and teaching a curriculum that follows the best practices for multi-cultural education.
- Ensures that tolerance, respect for diversity and disrupting injustice extend beyond learning, becoming practice.
- Manages the classroom and supports the students in a manner that is recognized as fair and consistent with the school mission and philosophies.
- Exhibits a commitment to the entire school and is eager to be a contributing part of activities outside the classroom, including school events, retreats, and special programs.
Professionalsim and Collegiality
- Supports colleagues through teamwork, collaboration, flexibility, and proactive communication.
- Maintains professional demeanor at all times with children, parents, and colleagues.
- Solicits and respects the parent perspective of the child.
- Maintains a positive and mature problem-solving attitude while dealing with interpersonal conflict or workload demands.
- Articulates curriculum and program design and expectations to both students and parents.
- Provides thoughtful, narrative feedback to students and parents with the intention of raising student achievement.
- Engages in regular communication with both students and parents through conversations, writing, and active listening.
Middle School Math and Science Teacher
The Peak School is a progressive, coeducational college preparatory middle and high school nestled in high peaks of Summit County, Colorado. Students at The Peak School encounter challenging academics, character-building in and out of the classroom, and a healthy, intentional community culture that supports them along the way. With a focus on personalized education, students take charge of their learning experience and, as such, hold each other accountable as peers and community members. Our teachers are experts in their fields, and are empowered to create differentiated and innovative lessons across the curriculum.
Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
Interest in and demonstrated skill in working with middle school students
A shared commitment to an inclusive community, and respect for differences
Willingness to embrace and engage our Outdoor Education program
Convey patience and empathy with adolescents
Demonstrate fluency with academic technology that advances learning for students and a willingness to integrate technology into classroom experiences.
Demonstrate proficiency in subject area and possess an understanding of current teaching pedagogies.
A growth mindset, active sense of humor, warm personality, and excellent organizational and communication skills.
The general responsibilities of a full-time, middle school math/science teacher (6-8th grades) at The Peak School include:
Teaches two courses in the math department (Currently- Alg.I and Geometry)
Teaches two courses in the science department. (Currently - Two middle school STEM classes with a focus on Physical and Life sciences)
Willingness to run an advisory
Prepares course materials such as syllabi, quizzes, tests, writing assignments, rubrics, etc.
Uses The Peak’s learning management system (Jump Rope/Google classroom) to post relevant course materials, including syllabi, and to maintain class gradebooks, and attendance.
Provides guidance to students, including extra help, that promotes their educational development and personal growth.
Assesses the progress of students on a regular basis and provides written reports as required.
Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
Uses different pedagogical approaches that address a variety of learning styles.
Works collaboratively with other teachers
Communicates with clarity, effectiveness, and compassion.
Interested candidates must provide: a resume, cover letter, transcript(s), at least one letter of recommendation and a list of three references with email & phone numbers. Send to: Travis Aldrich, Head of School, firstname.lastname@example.org with “Math/Science teacher position” in the Subject line (No phone calls please).
Opening for August 2019. Offer of employment will be contingent upon a successful background check.
Salary Range: $39,000 - $50,000
The Peak School does not discriminate against anyone based on race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability status or any other trait that is protected under local, state or federal law. In addition, we do not allow discrimination of any kind in the workplace. We are an equal opportunity employer and also take affirmative action measures against discrimination in all aspects of employment and School business. This policy applies not only to personnel decisions, but to all aspects of business.